Прослушайте текст, прочитайте и переведите его с помощью слов в упр. 1
The British Isles
The British Isles consist of two large islands, Great Britain and Ireland, and about five thousand smaller ones.
Great Britain, the largest island in Europe, includes England, Scotland and Wales. It is separated from Ireland by the Irish Sea, from the European Continent by the North Sea, the English Channel and the Strait of Dover. Great Britain and Northern Ireland form the United Kingdom.
The greater part of the surface of England and Ireland is flat. The surface of Scotland and Wales is mountainous. The highest mountain in the United Kingdom is Ben Nevis in Scotland. The chief rivers can be used by ships. They have slow currents and broad mouths. So the rivers are suitable for commerce. The coastline has excellent harbours. The sea enters deeply into the land and has a great influence on the climate. The winter is not very cold, and the summer is not very hot.
About 60 million people now live in the British Isles. Nearly all of them speak English, but some speak Celtic languages. Great Britain is one of most highly industrialized countries in the world. It lives by industry and trade. There are some great seaports in Britain, such as London, Newcastle, Liverpool, Glasgow and others.
The capital of Great Britain is London. It is the seat of the government of the whole country. London is ancient, many centuries old. It is also the centre of British cultural life and famous for its places of interest.
Great Britain is a parliamentary monarchy. The Queen or the King is at the head of the state. The country is ruled by the government in the name of the Queen (Monarch).
The British Parliament consists of two Houses: the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Prime Minister is at the head of the government.
6. Ответьте на вопросы:
1. How many islands do the British Isles consist of?
2. What seas is Great Britain separated from Ireland by?
3. Are the rivers suitable for commerce?
4. What influences the climate of Great Britain?
5. How many people live in the British Isles?
6. What kind of country is Great Britain?
7. Great Britain is the parliamentary monarchy, isn’t it?
8. Is London the capital of Great Britain?
9. Who(m) is the country ruled by?
10. What chambers does the British Parliament consist of?
11. Who is at the head of the Government?
7. Найдите в тексте соответствия следующим русским эквивалентам:
Почти, Ла-Манш, пригодный, входит, главный, отделяется, торговля, плоский, палата, достопримечатель-ность.