Прочитайте и переведите текст
Social-and-cultural service and tourism are considered to have become an important feature of our time.
People traveled, travel, will travel. Just travelling created the base for tourism. There exist many classifications of this phenomenon, it performs various functions.
One traveller loves exploring and discovering things: churches and castles, different ways of life. Some travellers want to get away from what they do all year round. Some of them say - “No sightseeing, no shopping, just a relaxation and sunbathing’’. While on holiday tourists may choose a quiet place with nearly empty beaches or popular resorts packed with people. A lot of people enjoy active open-air holidays such as walking, mountaineering, hiking, sailing, horse-riding, motoring.
Travelling holidays are not only relaxation, but they could be so much more – education, culture, the chance to meet different people. Young people prefer hitch-hiking, which is a very cheap way of travelling. Camping, which once was considered poor way of spending holidays for boyscouts and students, is becoming more popular now.
Social-and-cultural service and tourism are closely connected. They deal with transport (land, water, air), accommodation industry. The latter is an essential part of tourism.
The hotels offer rest, food, drink, facilities for recreation. They usually contain restaurants, cocktail lounges, facilities for social functions, conventions, conferences, entertainment.
Tourism is a very complicated business sphere. Because of its complexity there is a wide variety of different careers. The top people in this industry are managers. The majority of them hold management positions. They have a broad range of experience and coordinate a wide range of activities. This business requires highly qualified and well-trained specialists. The trend in recent years has been to select management trainees from the graduates of the universities. They must know the travelling organization and hotel field, advertising and public-relations technique. The executive staff includes many people with special skills, experience, professional training.
While studying at the university the students are to prepare for their future job, to become good specialists, to be ready to do their professional duties and make a successful career.
3. Найдите в тексте английские эквиваленты следующих словосочетаний:
важная особенность, выполняет различные функции, любит исследовать и открывать, уезжать, никакого осмотра достопримечательностей, почти пустые пляжи, альпинизм, предпочитать путешествие на попутных машинах, недорогой способ путешествия, тесно связаны, удобства для отдыха, коктейль-зал, занимать должность, богатый (разносторонний) опыт, управленческий персонал, методика работы с публикой, персонал, профессиональные обязанности, сделать карьеру.
4. Прочитайте однокоренные слова, определите к какой части речи они относятся, уточните перевод слов по словарю:
Используя данные группы слов, составьте предложения, опираясь на содержание текста.
1) enjoy, while, people, on holidays, travelling;
2) exist, phenomenon, there, this, of, classifications, many;
3) choose, tourists, beaches, place, nearly, with, a, quiet, empty;
4) hold, majority, management, positions, the, them, of;
5) requires, business, specialists, this, highly, well, qualified, trained, and;
6) know, must, they, technique, advertising, relations, public, and.
6. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
- What do social-and cultural service and tourism mean nowadays?
- What kind of human activities is considered to have created the base for tourism?
- What functions may tourism perform?
- How do young people prefer spending their holidays?
- What kind of activities does tourism business deal with?
- What does accommodation industry include?
- Are there any opportunities for job and career in tourism sphere?
- What kind of specialists does this business require?
- What activities are the tourism managers engaged in?
- What are the recent trends in selecting management trainees? Why?
7. Прочитайте текст «Irkutsk: Siberia’s Nobility and Pride», переведите, пользуясь приведенными ниже словами:
|| благородство, радушие
|| веха, значимое место
|| броситься, ринуться
| strive (for)
|| стремиться (к)
|| туземный, местный
|| прогуливаться, странствовать
|| клерикальный, церковный
|| очаровывать, пленять
|| состоятельный, зажиточный
|| причал, набережная
|| направлять (ся)
Irkutsk: Siberia’s Nobility and Pride
«Irkutsk is an excellent city. Quite intelligent. Theater, museum, city park with music, good hotels». Such was the impression of the city written by Anton Chekhov, the famous Russian writer at the end of the 19th century. The western gateway to Lake Baikal and one of the most important cities of Siberia, Irkutsk remains a great cultural and historical landmark.
Eastern Siberia’s history is quite similar to the well-known history of American Wild West. Tens of thousands Cossacks, runaway serfs and other dashing individuals striving for a better life fought their way eastwards while engaging into numerous battles with indigenous people like Yakuts, Buryats, Tuvans and countless minor tribes. They were followed by merchants, gold diggers, mobsters and burdensome bureaucrats.
In 1652, in order to collect fur taxes from Buryats and trade gold, Cossack chieftain Yakov Pokhabov ordered the building of a fortress (or an ‘ostrog’ as it was called then) at the location where the small Irkut River joins the Angara. Irkutsk’s economy soared after the Siberian Road (or Trakt) reached Irkutsk in 1790. All goods heading to the central Russia from Eastern Siberia and China – including furs, timber, gold, diamonds, tea etc. – travelled first through Irkutsk.
The best time to visit Irkutsk is, certainly, summer. The central square is a strange blend of traditional Sovietstyle city administration and Duma buildings, orthodox churches, a Roman Catholic Church and eternal flame.
Spasskaya and Bogoyavleniya churches standing at the corners of a small park are interesting examples of Siberian clerical architecture.
The city center fascinates with its old dilapidated wooden architecture.
The districts still preserve their cozy and warm feeling of an old, well-off city of tradesmen.
Afterwards, take a stroll down the quay to the Irkutsk dam. Get to the middle of it and you will found the city beautiful, the scenery picturesque and the river magnificent.
One more place of interest is Znamensky Monastery. Visiting Irkutsk is a worthy trip in itself.
8. Прочитайте текст «Irkutsk: Siberia’s Nobility and Pride», определите являются ли данные утверждения: