Упражнение 9. 1.Прочитайте текст и переведите письменно
1.Прочитайте текст и переведите письменно.
The cabbage is a cruciferous plant which has obtained by a long process of selection from the wild cabbage. Cabbage varieties differ in appearance, size, hardiness and in time required for this development. The cabbage is a typical heavy – land crop and attains its greatest perfaction on strong clays that contains plenty of lime. However it grows well on light soils which have been given body by manuring. The crop does well anywhere in Britain and resists drought when it is well established but it does not start well unless it gets a good deal of rain, in dry climate it is less resistant to parasites.
A common method of growing cabbage is to sow the seed in a greenhouse or hotbeds in seed boxes 4 – 6 weeks before outdoor planting. As soon as the true leaves appear about 2 weeks after a sowing, the seedlings are to be pricked out to other feats or transplanted to hotbeds directly in the seed-bed from 1 to 2 inches apart. Sometimes the seed is sown thinly in rows 2-6 inches apart in hotbeds and the seedlings are transplanted in the field. Provided the soil is dry at transplanting time. Water should be added. The plant should be set deep enough so that the first leaves are almost touching the ground. For small acreages the plant are usually transplanted by hand. Transplanting machines equipped to add water are usually employed where large acreages are to be set. In order to apply cultivation there should be ample space between plants or planting time. The cultivation should be shallow and good control of weeds.
2.Ответьте на вопросы по тексту письменно.
1. What do cabbage varieties differ in?
2. What type of soil does this crop grow?
3. Name a common method of growing cabbage.
4. Are there different ways of sowing seeds of this crop?
5. Is it possible to transplant the plants by machine?
Упражнение 1. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to be.
1. He … married and his wife’s name … Mary.
2. How old … your mother?
3. I am from Perm’. And where … you from?
4. Last month they … in Japan.
5. We … at hospital tomorrow.
Упражнение 2. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to have.
1. We … two sisters. They are little.
2. I … good time last summer. I spent my vocation in Turkey.
3. They hope they … a holiday next week.
4. You … a cottage. It is not very big.
5. He usually … lunch at home.
Упражнение 3. Переведите предложения и определите, какую функцию выполняет окончание –s, т.е. служит ли оно:
а) показателем 3-го лица глагола в Present Simple;
б) признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
в) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного.
1. My uncle lives not far from us.
2. He likes to read political news.
3. There are some beautiful flowers in the yard.
4. Our lesson begins at 9 o’clock.
5. What is this boy’s name?
Упражнение 4. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глагол в соответствующую форму Present Simple.
1. I often (read) books in the evening.
2. My family usually (to rest) on Sundays.
3. Peter (to live) far from us. We (to see) him not often.
4. It often (to rain) in valleys.
5. When it (to be) cold, we (to put on) warm clothes.
Упражнение 5. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в Present Simple или Present Continuous; переведите предложения.
1. I (to drink) apple-juice now.
2. I usually (to drink) coffee in the morning.
3. We (to have) dinner right now.
4. Where is your mother? She (to watch) TV.
5. My brother (to play) football very well.
Упражнение 6. Поставьте сказуемые предложения во Future Simple Tense.
1. Our next meeting (to be) on Saturday.
2. Dad (to write) a letter tomorrow.
3. We (to find) their home today.
4. She (to be) 30 next year.
5. He is tired, he (to go) to bed.
Упражнение 7. Напишите три формы следующих глаголов:
Play, write, have, work, take, live, put, do, help, speak, go, finish.
Упражнение 8. Переведите следующие предложения, обращая внимание на перевод неопределённых местоимений.
1. Some of the students will go on an excursion tomorrow.
2. Any museum of Kiev is of great interest to us.
3. Do you like any magazines? – Yes, I like some.