Упражнение 9. 1.Прочитайте текст и переведите письменно
1.Прочитайте текст и переведите письменно.
Maize originated in America and very soon after the discovery of the New World spread very widely throughout Africa, Southern Europe, and Southern Asia. In Britain even the earliest varieties have been found to ripen seed only in the warmer years and the sunniest and hottest districts but continuous progress in the direction of earlier maturity is being made in the northern United States and Canada, and new strains are being tested in the south of England. The sweet varieties are grown on a small scale for table purposes and some of these can produce ripe seed in the south - east of England. In Britain maize is one of the minor forage crops for use in the late summer. Maize grows best on warm, fertile loams, but when well manured it produces good crops on light soils, provided that these are of fair depth. Light soils have the advantage of warms and earliness; on clays it often fails to reach the best stage of maturity. The crop is generally grown on land that has received a good dressing of farmyard manure. A deep seed – bed is prepared by harrowing, rolling and cultivating, and in mid-May the seed is drilled in rows from 18 to 24 in. apar, at a depth of about 21/2 in., and at a rate of about a bushel per acre.
The minimum temperature for germination of the seed is higher than that required for the general British crop plants, and if sown in cold soil the seed will rot.
After sowing the crop is harrowed to suppress weeds. If sown thinly there is no need for singling. The maize grown rapidly and a good crop soon checks weeds by shading.
2. Ответьте на вопросы письменно.
1. Where did maize originate?
2. Where is the crop sown and grown?
3. What type of soil is necessary for this crop?
4. What seed-bed is prepared for this plant?
5. Name factors affecting the germination of the seed of maize?
Упражнение 1. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to be.
1. I … from Germany. I … German.
2. My aunt … a librarian.
3. They … in the cinema yesterday.
4. His son … good at physics when he studied at school.
5. She … 35 years old next year.
Упражнение 2. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to have.
1. I … two brothers.
2. This flat … one room, a bathroom, a kitchen and a balcony.
3. We … got three shelves at home.
4. My friends … a very nice garden last year.
5. You … a beautiful cottage next month.
Упражнение 3. Переведите предложения и определите, какую функцию выполняет окончание –s, т.е. служит ли оно:
а) показателем 3-го лица глагола в Present Simple;
б) признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
в) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного.
1. In Roman times London became a Britain’s leading port.
2. The Russian Federation stretches on many kilometers from west to east.
3. There are a lot of woods, forests, rivers and mountains in Siberia.
4. Agriculture supplies nearly two-thirds of the country’s food.
5. This student studies at the Agricultural Academy.
Упражнение 4. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глагол в соответствующую форму Present Simple.
1. I (to like) ice-cream very much.
2. He (to do) their homework in the evening.
3. My mother always (to read) books for my little sisters.
4. Philipp Kirkorov (to sing) very well.
5. They (to study) botany and biology at the University.
Упражнение 5. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в Present Simple или Present Continuous; переведите предложения.
1. Wait, please! Tom (to do) his exercise.
2. We (to watch) TV at the moment.
3. Usually he (to tell) me all about his friends.
4. They (to have) lunch at 4p.m. every day.
5. They (to play) basketball every Monday.
Упражнение 6. Поставьте сказуемые предложения во Future Simple Tense.
1. I (to go) to London.
2. We hope the weather (to be) good next month.
3. My aunt (to build) her home in autumn.
4. They (to visit) Trafalgar Square in London.
5. This girl (to take) examinations in February.
Упражнение 7. Напишите три формы следующих глаголов:
Read, talk, buy, learn, tell, cost, sell, stop, say, cut, repeat.
Упражнение 8. Переведите следующие предложения, обращая внимание на перевод неопределённых местоимений.
1. There are some faculties at our Academy.
2. Some 20 students took part in sport competition.
3. No one knew about this discovery.