Упражнение 9. 1.Прочитайте текст и переведите письменно
1.Прочитайте текст и переведите письменно.
Sugar beet is a biennial plant closely related to the red beet. Sugar beets are white-colored. They have high dry-matter content; their sugar content along amounts to from 13 to more than 20 per cent of their weight.
Sugar beet cultivation has now extended to every country in Europe, to America and many other temperate countries throughout the world. Although the main object of growing beet is the production of sugar, the by-products, tops and pulp, are important to many growers, especially dairy farmers.
The best soil for best is a deep free-working loam, but the crop has been grown quite satisfactorily on well-drained soils of practically all types. Stony soils are unsatisfactorily, because they cause the roots to fork. Best cannot be grown profitably on land, which enquires liming. The highest sugar content is obtained when the best is grown on light land and the lowest on peaty soil. Owing to infrequency of hard autumn frosts in Britain, the roots do not require elaborate storage precautions; but it is necessary that the roots be protected in really hard weather.
The ploughing should be as deep as the nature of the soil will permit, and in some cases it may be profitably accompanied by sub-soiling; it should be done early so that the furrow slices get the benefit of long exposure to winter frosts. A full germination of the seed depends on an adequate moisture supply and this is best secured by consolidating the surface soil with rollers both before and after sowing.
The yield of the crop depends very largely on the number of beets that can be grown to the acre and experience has shown that on the average land an endeavour should be made to produce at least 30,000 plants on this acre.
2.Ответьте на вопросы по тексту письменно.
1. Is sugar beet a biennial or perennial plant?
2. What is it valuable for?
3. Name the best soil for beet.
4. Is it necessary to protect the root of the crop in hard weather?
5. What factors does the yield of the crop depend on?
Упражнение 1. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to be.
1. I … a first year student of the Urals State Agricultural Academy.
2. You … students ten years ago.
3. The weather … cold tomorrow.
4. Last month they … in Moscow.
5. We … agronomists in four years.
Упражнение 2. Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to have.
1. I always … questions to my father.
2. My grandmother … animals. She … a pig, a sheep.
3. We … many friends. They like to visit us.
4. This student … a lot of problem last year.
5. You … an exam tomorrow.
Упражнение 3. Переведите предложения и определите, какую функцию выполняет окончание –s, т.е. служит ли оно:
а) показателем 3-го лица глагола в Present Simple;
б) признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
в) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного.
1. His parent’s car is new.
2. My uncle lives not far from Yekaterinburg.
3. In my town there are many beautiful buildings.
4. You can visit St. Paul’s Cathedral in London.
5. This pupil likes get good marks.
Упражнение 4. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глагол в соответствующую форму Present Simple.
1. I usually (to cook) and my little daughter (to wash up) after meals.
2. He (to be) a good specialist. He (to work) very well.
3. My parents (to live) in the village.
4. She always (to play) chess with her father.
5. They (to work) till night every day.
Упражнение 5. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в Present Simple или Present Continuous; переведите предложения.
1. Where is Mary? She is in the room. She (to wash) the floor.
2. Look! Somebody (to dive) in the river.
3. What do you doing now? I (to play) tennis.
4. I never (to listen) to rock-music.
5. We usually (to drink) coffee, but my friend (to drink) tea.
Упражнение 6. Поставьте сказуемые предложения во Future Simple Tense.
1. He (to write) a later as soon as he came back home.
2. You (to become) an agronomist when you finish the academy.
3. It (to be) frosty tomorrow.
4. I (to go) to bed early. I (to have) an important meeting tomorrow.
5. They (to sleep) well today. They are very tired.
Упражнение 7. Напишите три формы следующих глаголов:
Translate, live, watch, write, take, play, go, talk, say, study, have, get.
Упражнение 8. Переведите следующие предложения, обращая внимание на перевод неопределённых местоимений.
1. There are some 6.500 research workers at the Academy of Science.
2. Our country is very large, no other country is equal to it size.
3. Do you go anywhere in the morning?