Объектный причастный оборот
The Objective Participial Construction.
мест. Прич. I и II
We heard him playing the piano.
I considered the work done.
I had my machine-tools repaired.
Мы слышали, как он играл на пианино.
Я считал, что работа выполнена.
Я починил свои станки.
Субъектный причастный оборот The Subjective Participial Construction.
(общ.п.) Прич. I и II мест.
Независимый причастный оброт
The Absolute Participial Construction.
(общ. п.) Прич. I и II мест,
Не was seen crossing the street.
It being warm, we went for a walk.
Radio was invented in 1895, the inventor being the Russian scientist.
Видели, как он переходил улицу.
Так как было тепло, мы пошли гулять.
Радио было изобретено в 1895, причем изобретатель был русский ученый.
| SELF-TRAINING EXERCISES
1. Translate the sentences into Russian.
1. I don't know the girl sitting in the corner.
2. Knowing English well he translated the text without a dictionary.
3. He sat in the arm-chair reading a book.
4. Having finished the translation he typed it.
5. The student being asked now is Borisov.
6. The answer received from him greatly surprised me.
7. Given the book only yester-day he was not able to read it.
8. The glass is broken.
| 2. Change the sentences so as to use the Present Participle Passive as an attribute.
Model: The lecture which is being delivered now is very interesting. The lecture being delivered now is very interesting. The girl who is sitting with me is my friend. The girl sitting with me is my friend.
| 1. The boy who is being examined now by the doctor is my son.
2. The house, which is being built in our street, is a new theatre.
3. The problem, which is being discussed now, is very important.
4. We didn't like the equipment, which was being shown to us.
5. The text, which was being translated by us, was very difficult.
3. Change the complex sentences into simple ones using the
Objective Participial Constructions.
Model: I saw the children as they were running. I saw the children running.
1. I saw as he was working in the garden.
2. I noticed that they were waiting for somebody.
3. I heard as he was coming up the stairs.
4. The man watched as the children were playing hockey.
5. He watched as they were swimming across the river.
4. Write Participle of the following verbs.
a. Perfect Participle Active (to begin - having begun)
to translate, to finish, to take, to tell, to live, to leave, to buy, to say,to do, to break, to lose, to eat, to meet, to read.
b. Present Participle Passive (to build - being built)
to invite, to examine, to defeat, to check, to prepare, to show, to give, to discuss, to type, to write, to draw, to roll, to cast.
5. Choose the right Russian equivalent.
1. Having finishedthe translation she typed it.
I. заканчивая; II. закончив; III. законченный
2. The student being askedby the teacher is Smirnov.
I. которого спрашивают; II. спрошенный; III. спрашивая
3. Having been defeated,the enemy had to retreat. I. потерпев поражение; II. терпящий поражение
4. The problem being discussednow is very important.
I. обсуждая; II. обсуждаемая
5. Having read many bookson the problem, he made an inter
I. читая; II. читающий; III. прочитав
6. The house being builtin our street is a new school.
I. строящийся; II. построенный; III. построив
7. Having been signedby both sides the treaty came into force
I. подписавший; II. подписанный; III. подписав
8. Having refusedto accept the invitation he left the office.
I. отказывая; II. отказав; III. отказавшись
6. Use Participles instead of the subordinate clauses.
1. We didn't like the film, which was being shown to us. 2. The text, which was being translated by the students, was rather difficult. 3. After he had asked the doctor about the child he left. 4. When he had arranged everything he decided to take a rest. 5. As he had visited the town several times he refused to join our trip there. 6. When she was asked to express her opinion she didn't know what to say. 7. As I had never come across the word I decided to consult a dictionary.
7. Choose the right English equivalent.
1. (Сдав) all the examinations we decided to go on a tour.
I. passing; II. having passed; III. being passed
2. (Когда ему сказали) to stay he refused.
I. telling; II. having told; III. being told
3. (Закончив) the translation we gave it to the teacher.
I. having finished; II. finishing; III. being finished
4. (Потеряв) the key I couldn't enter the room.
I. losing; II. being lost; III. having lost
5. The plant (строящийся) here will produce radio-sets.
I. building; II. having been built; III. being build
6. (Оставшись) alone I decided to finish my work.
I. leaving; II. being left; III. having left
7. (Получив) the telegram I hurried to meet my friend.
I. having received; II. receiving; III. being received
8. The letter (отправленное) today will be received in two days.
I. sending; II. being sent; III. having sent
9. (Сломанное) by the wind the tree was lying on the road.
I. breaking; II. roken; III. broken
10. (Позавтракав) she went to the institute.
I. having breakfast; II. having had breakfast.
8. Translate into English.
1. Мне нравятся все статьи, написанные этим ученым. 2. Вот завод, о котором так много говорят. 3. Я бы хотел, чтобы статью отпечатали сегодня. 4. Я не был на собрании, которое проводилось в университете. 5. Мы слышали, как декан выступал на соб-]
рании. 6. Я полагаю, что все будет сделано через несколько дней.
7. Так как день был теплый, мы открыли окно. 8. Когда ему дали
больше времени, он смог перевести статью. 9. Она сидела в крес
ле, просматривая газеты. ,*
9. Read, translate the text.