|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Can you imagine that?
Ann chatters like a magpie.
A black cat sat on a mat and ate a fat rat.
Syllables with consonants at the beginning and at the end
Ex. 10 Add one consonant sound (C) from the box to the start of each word to make a new one. Be careful: think of sounds, not spelling!
EXAMPLE red - bread (red [red] + b = bread [bred])
1. lie ________ 5. lime _________
2. lock _______ 6. late _________
3. rain _______ 7. route ________
4. key _______
Ex. 11 Listen and tick the sentence or phrase you hear, A or B. (B19)
Ex. 12 Remove a consonant sound from the end of each word to make a new one, as in the example.
EXAMPLE went – when (if you remove the last sound from went
[went], you get when [ wen].
1. field _______
2. change _________
3. six ____________
4. build __________
5. shelf __________
6. wealth _________
7. guest __________
8. wild ___________
Ex. 13 Think of a computer which people speak into and it writes what they say. This computer wrote down these sentences wrongly. The mistakes are underlined and one of the correct words is given at the end in brackets. Write the correct answers as in the example.
EXAMPLE She dozen turn much (earn) – She doesn’t earn much.
1. I thing cold car are better. (think) __________________________
2. The bang caught to be open by now. (ought)__________________
3. I thing call the time. (all) __________________________________
4. These big cars whole date people. (hold) _____________________
5. Did he fill mother kinds of movies too? (other) _________________
6. Three people have sick size. (eyes) __________________________
7. If you took aspirin, your head wooden take. (ache) ______________
When you are speaking, you often have to pause to think or just breathe. Put the pause in the break between two groups of words.
I bought a nice new jacket / with a zip down the front / and a lot of
There is no rule where to divide words into groups, but it must make sense. If the word groups don’t make sense, it is very hard to understand.
I bought a nice new / jacket with a zip down the / front and a lot of
Ex. 14 Look at the two ways of dividing the sentences below. For each pair of sentences, cross out the one where the grouping does not make sense.
1. a) I bought a ticket and got / on the train.
b) I bought a ticket / and got on the train.
2. a) It was a small car / with a red stripe along the side.
b) It was a small car with a red / stripe along the side.
3. a) Do you want chicken and chips / or fish and salad?
b) Do you want chicken / and chips or fish and salad?
4. a) Derek can wear the most / expensive suit but he never looks smart.
b) Derek can wear the most expensive suit / but he never looks smart.
Ex. 15 Listen and draw lines (/) showing where the speaker divides the words into groups. (C14)
Letters and sounds
Consonants: [k – g]
To make the sound [k]: Touch the back of your palate with the back of your tongue. Push air forward in your mouth. Move your tongue away and release air.
To make the sound [g]: Follow the instructions above, use your voice.
Ex.1 Listen and repeat.
[ k ]
car carpet cuckoo scarf pocket
school bus cup of coffee
[ g ]
gate good garden guest book gun
Ex.2 Listen and repeat the words paying special attention to sounds [ k – g ].
coat - goat
class - glass
back - bag
cold - gold
frock - frog
Ex.3 Add the [ k ] or [ g ] sound to the beginning of these words and write the new words, as in the example.
EXAMPLE eight gate
1. up ____________ 6. lime _____________
2. aim ___________ 7. air ______________
3. ache ___________ 8. all ______________
4. round ___________ 9. rate _____________
5. old _____________ 10. ill ______________
Ex.4 Complete the second line to rhyme with the first line, using a word from the box. Then listen and repeat. (A41)
EXAMPLE He dressed for soccer,
And closed his locker.
1. Kelly Collins couldn’t figure,
How to make the plants grow ____________.
2. I’d like five bricks,
No, make it __________ !
3. Mister Quinn ate so much steak,
He came home with a stomach __________.
4. I saw a fox,
Behind those _________.
5. Clara saw a friend she knew,
Standing quietly in the _________.
Ex.5 Practise saying the tongue twisters.