|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
In the 1990s this idea of UN peacekeeping changed. Today’s peacekeepers often deploy to stop civil wars and missions are more complex and have more objectives. For example, UN troops disarm and demobilize soldiers, help refugees return to their homes and clear mines.
In today’s peacekeeping missions there are many more civilian peacekeepers, including police officers, engineers, medical personnel and drivers. These civilians build roads, schools and hospitals, and they supervise elections. An example of this kind of mission was the UN mission to Cambodia 1992-1993.
1. Does the country participate in UN peacekeeping missions?
2. What are / were the names of these missions?
3. Do you know anyone who has any experience of UN peacekeeping missions?
1. A permanent agreement to stop fighting. ______
2. Sides in a conflict don’t deploy soldiers here. ______
3. This person leaves his home because of war. ______
4. When a soldier becomes a civilian. ______
5. A temporary agreement to stop fighting. ______
6. When you take away someone’s weapons. ______
Drink alcohol when you are on duty.
Respect the laws and religion of the country.
Respect the environment of the country.
Talk to journalists without permission.
CAN/BE ABLE TO
We use can to express physical and mental ability. We also use can when we express possibility or permission depending on circumstances.
E.g.Wecansee the lake from our bedroom window.
This helicopter can take off vertically, but it can’t fly very high.
Can you speak any foreign languages?
Ski, cook, drive a car, ride a bicycle, bake cakes, repair home appliances, sew uniform, interpret English into Ukrainian, interpret Ukrainian into English, box with somebody, make a fire, build a house, make salads, sell vegetables, grow lemons, ride a horse, skate, swim, dive, read English books, play the guitar, play football, play hockey, lift the weights, tame animals.
Example: I don’t believe that he is fifty. – He can’t be fifty.
1. I don’t believe Mr Cameron is as old as that, he looks much younger.
2. I don’t believe you will postpone this meeting.
3. I don’t believe Larry trusts David. He is so cunning.
4. I don’t believe you are cheating the test.
5. I don’t believe Greg swims so well.
6. It’s impossible that she is a ballerina.
7. I don’t believe he is a sergeant.
8. I don’t think he is good at maths.
9. I don’t believe it is a joke.
10. It is impossible she drives a car so well’
11. I don’t believe it is Nancy’s fault.
12. I don’t believe you are so lazy.
1. The plane was damaged but the pilot ______ land it safely.
2. Paganini ______ play the violin well at the age of three.
3. The ship was badly damaged but the captain ______ bring her safely to land.
4. When a child I ______ play the piano rather well.
5. The firemen ______ rescue all the people and the fire was put out.
6. Granny ______ speak five foreign languages when she was young.
7. Max was the brightest student and he ______ easily win the grant.
8. In my childhood I ______ dive in deep places.
9. Mr Foster ______ climb the hill and was saved by the rescue party.
10. We ______ cover another twenty miles and felt rather tired.
11. My mother ______ sew all her clothes when she was young.
12. After Jimmy had learned all new words he ______ read the text easily.
13. The sky was clear and we ______ see the stars in the sky.
14. It was difficult to find her but I _____ do it.
15. Finding himself in a strange place Robert ______ to find the road himself.
16. She knew spanish perfectly and ______ read the books without a dictionary.
17. When Frank was a little boy he ______ understand maths.
18. After Randolf had learned all the rules he ______ write a dictation without any mistakes.
19. I ______ skate and ski twenty years ago.
20. There were no broccoli at our greengrocer’s but I ______ find it in the next one.
1. Fighters ______ attack enemy aircraft in the air but they ______ fly long distances.
2. A fighter-bomber is a fighter that ______ carry bombs and rockets.
3. The stealth bomber ______ fly 6,000 miles and radars ______ see it.
4. The US SPRUANCE-class destroyer ______ fight submarines, ships and aircraft.
5. Transport aircraft ______ move men and equipment long distances.
1. Our commander could …
2. The teacher can …
3. The best friend of mine was able to …
4. The sergeant can’t …
A: Hi, David! How are things going on?
B: I’m quite well, thank you. Jim, will you be able to help me with these papers?
A: Sure, I will. I can come tomorrow in the afternoon and we will start.
B: And can you take some new discs with you?