|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Exercise 4. I. Pronounce correctly the second form of regular verbs
I. Pronounce correctly the second form of regular verbs.
Lived, used, discovered, crammed, explained, imitated, looked, pointed, drooped, arrived, interested, opened, plucked, asked, cocked, hummed, enchanted, surprised, aggrieved, watched.
II. Pick out compound nouns from the text, transcribe them, and put primary and secondary stresses.
Transcribe and intone the bit starting with 'I don't tffink I want to hear...' and ending with '... a queer word to apply to Bach.'
Match the words on the left with the meaning on the right.
1. curious A. thinking deeply about something
2. listless B. having no energy or enthusiasm
3. tolerant C. having or showing good reasoning power
4. pensive D. allowing other people to say and do what
5. intellectual they think is right even if one doesn't
6. tyrannical agree with it
7. patient E. being able to stay calm and not get
G. unusual and interesting
F. acting cruelly and unjustly towards the
people who one controls
1. totter A. make fun of somebody, deliberately
2. bully embarrass somebody
3. tease B. walk in an unsteady way
4. stir C. delight, bewitch, charm somebody
5. enchant D. care lovingly and tenderly
6. cherish E. think about something a lot seriously and
7. brood often unhappily
F. excite somebody, make one react with a
G. use one's strength or power to hurt or
1. gap A. the state of being unable to
2. skilunderstand something l
3. com B. mental preference, liking panion
4. inte C. the ability to understand and learnlligence
5. prethings dilection
6. mis D. a great difference between twochief
7. incomprehension E. ability to do something well
F. someone who you spend time with
G. naughty behaviour of children,
eagerness to have fun by playing
tricks or by embarrassing people
I. Draw lines between the pairs matching the words on the left with their opposites on the right.
nervous thin, slender
II. Draw lines between the pairs matching the words on the left with the words or phrases of similar meaning on the right.
plump prematurely developed
precocious rather fat
grave extremely small