|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
– Avoid empty phrases like “I’m talented”, “I’m very intelligent”, “I’m a great writer”. Show them through your professional SoP and application portfolio and let them decide if you are amazing enough to attend their institution.
– Avoid being too poetic in applying for creative writing programs. Your writing portfolio is more than enough writing to show your talent.
– Avoid hot air. Adjectives like thrill, passion, excitement, joy, etc., should be avoided like the plague.
– Avoid quotations. You may have “miles to go before you sleep”, “chosen the road less travelled”, or “your-favourite-cliche-quote-from-high-school-here”, but it isn’t a personal statement, is it?
And finally, avoid sending the exact same Statement of Purpose to all the universities to which you’re applying. The admissions committee will easily spot a cookie-cutter essay and more than likely reject you. Admissions committees also notice whether or not you include specific references to people, labs, groups etc., within their departments.
Exercise 26. True or False?
1. SoP is an ecological movement “Save our Planet”.
2. Most admissions committees appreciate a long and elaborate SoP.
3. It is unwise to postpone writing your SoP until the last possible moment.
4. Admissions guidebooks can be intimidating.
5. Your admission entirely depends on your SoP.
6. Most admissions committees arbitrarily select applicants that will comprise next year’s incoming class.
7. The first paragraph shouldn’t be long.
8. The more ideas you include in each body paragraph, the better.
9. You should mention that the chosen course would help to pursue your career.
10. It is recommended to include specific examples from your own experience.
11. Four-letter words would not be appropriate in your SoP.
12. You are not supposed to use a spellchecker.
13. Poets can’t apply for creative writing programmes.
14. Avoid applying for admission in hot weather.
15. Cookie-cutter is a kitchen tool used for cutting cookies.
16. In the closing paragraph you should thank the admissions committee for choosing you.