|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
IYA 1103-GE/EPP Pre-Intermediate
Information about the Instructor:
Instructor: Utelbayeva N.M.
Room: Department of Languages
Phone: 3308566 ex.2016
Prerequisites: Entrance test Pre-Intermediate level
Post-requisites: Business English Intermediate
Course goals: improve students’ general and professional English language/speech skills, to tailor the English language program to the students’ current and future professional needs.
- basic grammar and professional vocabulary;
- listening: comprehension of spoken language in general and professional contexts;
- speaking: discussion of general and professional issues;
- reading: skimming and scanning of texts of general and professional interest, guessing the meaning of new words and phrases from context;
- writing a paragraph;
- information search, life-long learning, leadership, critical thinking, decision-making, problem-solving and team work.
By the end of the course the students will be able to:
- differentiate and use such grammar tenses as: Simple, Continuous, Perfect, Present Perfect Continuous;
- comprehend spoken language in general and professional contexts on such topics as: University life, Family, Arts, Travelling, Soft Skills, A typical PC, Types of computer systems, Input and Output devices, Future Trends;
- speak fluently on the covered issues, express opinion, propose solutions present ideas on the above topics;
- skim and scan texts on the topics under study and guess the meaning of new words and phrases from context;
- understand and apply professional IT vocabulary on the topics studied;
- write descriptive, process, comparison/contrast and opinion paragraphs based on the following topics: “My favorite picture/painting”, “How to develop the soft skills”, “A desktop and laptop PCs”, “Nanotechnologies will change our life completely”;
- compile vocabulary definitions, illustrations and a test on a certain professional topic;
- share responsibilities among project group members, manage the time properly and submit all tasks before the deadline.
Abbreviations (for more detail see p.7 of the syllabus below)