|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
How do the underlined verbs differ grammatically? Is there difference in person? number? mood? tense? aspect? taxis? voice?
You have always been asking stupid questions / I wish I hadn’t been asked bad questions at the exam / What questions will he be asked at the interview? / Don’t ask any questions/ I suggest that he ask some interesting questions/ If only I were not asked questions!/ I expect she’ll ask some questions about the text/ Take care should you be asked any questions/ He is being asked questions now/She asks tricky questions all time/He looks as if he were being asked difficult guestions.
2. Match English and Russian verb forms of the Subjunctive in accordance with the given meanings; work them out in the given sentences:
1. True or likely to happen in the present or the future; untrue in the immediate present; imaginary situation contrary to facts in the past; implied condition; regret or criticism; suggestion or offer; order or threat; wish/regret about a present situation; wish/regret in the present concerning lack of ability; regret about realized or unrealized past; wish for a future change; wish for sth to happen; unreal comparison with the event in the present, past, future; advice; preference, possible options, desired or predictable results.
2. Were, would do, would have done, should do, should have done, would be doing, should be doing, should/would have been doing, did, had done, were doing, had been doing, could do, could be doing, could have done, might do, might be doing, might have done, would rather, had better.
3. Сделал бы сейчас, сделал бы раньше, был бы, делал бы сейчас, делал бы тогда, мог бы сделать, возможно сделал бы, должен бы сделать, должен был бы сделать, жаль, что..., хотелось бы, как будто бы, как если бы, хотя бы, иначе бы.
4. It is proposed that these issues be discussed at the conference. But for his last remark she would not have struck the bargain. Put it down lest you should get lost. Provided the company responded to competition, they could have a bigger market share. He was a passenger, or else he should be a steward, I think. Should you be visiting another country do not forget to put down some foreign contacts. If only it were not raining! I do wish she had been feeling better. Hedemanded that his honour were satisfied. The Lord be praised! It was as if he received a physical blow. Even if it were against her it would make a good story. If the euro were weak in the long term, companies might slow down their drive. He leaned against the chair as though he were shaking with fever. She might have failed!
3. Think of possible similarities and differences in the choice of connectors:
a) If, unless, providing/provided that, on condition that, but for, otherwise, or else, so that, in order that, lest, supposing, only if, even if/though, as if/though, as long as.
b) Если бы, как будто бы, даже если бы, допустим если бы, чтобы, чтобы не, иначе бы, или же, для того чтобы, если бы не, если бы только, в том случае если бы.
4. Transform the situations by using the sentences with the Subjunctive Mood; recognize unreal meanings:
I want you to put away your clothes. It is raining hard, we can’t go walking. The doctor advised him to give up smoking. I would really like to travel round the world. You didn’t let me know beforehand; therefore I failed to attend the conference. It’s a pity you didn’t follow the doctor’s advice. He put down her address; he was afraid he might forget it. It is time for them to make up their quarrel. His suggestion was to set up a special commission to investigate the matter. I was surprised to find out that she had failed the exam. She looks tired; she may have been working hard. I went camping and I regret it. It was sensible of him to reserve the ticket and he managed to be on time. He was kind enough to give me a hand. I’m sorry I can’t make it. It’s a pity he is not with us. The chief said, “Clear up the matter”. The president said, “Mr Douglas must be expelled from the club”. I have no dictionary; I won’t be able to translate the article until tomorrow. He failed to buy a car, no matter how much money he had. She was likely to have been promoted but made little effort. He is very absent-minded; no wonder, he lost his papers.
5. Translate into English. Are the verb forms equal? What is preferable in formal and informal speech?
Он взглянул на часы, как будто торопился. Если бы были какие-то новости, мы бы с тобой связались. Мне бы очень хотелось, чтобы мой сын поступил в университет. Если бы не внезапная болезнь, он бы мог принять участие в соревнованиях. Жаль, что она так рано ушла. Если бы я был на твоем месте, я бы сказал правду. Если бы только сейчас не шел дождь. Я покажу тебе дорогу, чтобы ты не заблудился. Мы предложили, чтобы резолюция была обсуждена по пунктам. Желательно, чтобы конференция была перенесена на следующую неделю. Странно, что они не говорят сейчас по-английски. Было бы глупо с твоей стороны отказаться от этого предложения. Если бы он вел машину осторожнее, несчастного случая не произошло бы. Она обращалась с ним так, как будто он был ребенком. Хорошо, что мы взяли такси; иначе мы бы опоздали на поезд.