|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Text A. Work of an In-patient Department
When patients are admitted to the hospital first of all they are received by a nurse on duty1 at the reception ward.
Those patients who are to be hospitalized have already received the direction from the polyclinic. The nurse on duty fills in patients' case histories in which she writes down their names, age, place of work, occupation, address and the initial diagnosis made by a doctor at the polyclinic.
Then a doctor on duty examines the hospitalized patients and gives his instructions what department and wards the patients are to be admitted to.
At the in-patient departments of a hospital life begins early in the morning. The nurses on duty take the patients' temperature, give them intramuscular and intravenous injections, take stomach juice for analysis, apply cups and give all the prescribed remedies in the doses indicated by the ward doctors.
The nurses keep all the drugs in special drug cabinets.2 All the drugs have special labels (этикетки). The names of drugs are indicated on them. Patients are not allowed to take the medicines themselves because some drugs are poisonous, the overdosage of some other drugs may cause unfavourable reactions and even death.
At about nine o'clock in the morning the doctors begin the daily rounds of the wards during which they examine all the patients. After the medical examination the doctors administer the patients different procedures: electrocardiograms are taken, laboratory analyses of blood, urine and gastric juice are made. Some patients are administered a bed regimen, others are allowed to walk; some are to follow a diet to relieve stomachache or prevent unfavourable results in case of stomach troubles. All the doctors always treat the patients with great attention and care. There is no doubt that such a hearty attitude of the doctors to the patients helps much in their recovery.
1. a nurse (a doctor) on duty—дежурная(ый) сестра (врач); to be on duty — дежурить, быть дежурным
2. a drug cabinet — шкаф для лекарства, аптечный шкаф
XI. Use the active vocabulary of the lesson instead of the following:
1. to advise and order the patient some medicine; 2. to produce; 3. to put cups; 4. a definite amount of the drug; 5. to stop the spread of inflammation; 6. a toxic medicine; 7. to make the pain less; 8. to be allowed and used.
XII. Choose the sentences corresponding to Text A:
1. a) At the in-patient department the nurses give the patients intramuscular and intravenous injections, b) At the in-patient department the ward doctors give the patients intramuscular and intravenous injections. 2. a) Some patients are to follow a diet to decrease weight, b) Some patients are to follow a diet to relieve stomachache. 3. a) The overdosage of some drugs may cause a considerable change in the white blood cell count, b) The overdosage of some drugs may cause unfavourable reactions.
XIII. Read the passages and answer the questions:
1. Patient Ivanov was treated at the hospital. His temperature was taken every morning. He was given the prescribed medicine and the intramuscular injection of vitamin Be. Who carried out the administrations?
2. My sister has a high temperature. Her blood analysis shows a considerable increase of the white blood cell count. Her first and second heart sounds are greatly decreased. Her electrocardiogram shows abnormal findings. Where must she be treated?
XIV. Make up the sentences corresponding to the Russian ones, out of the words given in brackets:
1. Ядовитые лекарства могут вызывать неблагоприятные реакции, (reactions, poisonous, drugs, unfavourable, cause, may) 2. Названия лекарств указываются на этикетках, (on, the, of, names, medicines, the, labels, are, indicated) 3. Назначенное лекарство не снимало боль в загрудинной области, (in, area, the, administered, the, drug, failed, substernal, pain, to relieve, the).
XV. Find the sentences in which 'if is translated as 'если' and then — as particle 'ли':
1. The surgeon asked the patient if he had been operated on the year before 2. If you have a sore throat you must gargle it several times a day. 3.1 shall investigate this case again if the findings are not clear. 4.1 asked the nurse if all the findings were clear.
XVI. Read Text В and entitle it:
As soon as the patient is admitted to the in-patient department the ward doctor fills in the patient's case history. It must include the information about the patient's parents — if they are living or not. If they died, the doctor must know at what age and of what causes they died. The doctor must know if any of the family has ever been ill with tuberculosis or has had any mental or emotional impairments. This information composes the family history.
The patient's medical history must include the information about the diseases which the patient had both being a child and an adult, about the operations which were performed, about any traumas he had. The patient's blood group and his sensitivity to antibiotics must be determined and the obtained information written down in the case history. These findings compose the past history.
The attending doctor (лечащий врач) must know what the patient's complaints and symptoms are. He must know how long and how often the patient has had these complaints.
The information on the physical examination of the patient on his admission to the hospital, the results of all the laboratory tests and X-ray examinations, the description of the course of the disease with any changes in the symptoms and the condition of the patient, the administered medicines in their exact doses and the produced effect of the treatment—all these findings which compose the history of the present illness must always be written down in the case history.
The case history must always be written very accurately and consist of exact and complete information.
1. Прочтите предложения по колонкам. Ответьте на вопросы:
а)... a) Reading is useful.
б)... б) I like his rapidly reading.
в)... в) His favourite occupation is reading.
r) The reading man is my friend, г) I like your idea of reading this book.
2. The man reading a book is my friend.
д) Reading a book I did not д) After reading I began to write a letter.
hear when she came in.
е) Не stood nearby reading a book, e) We cannot gain knowledge without