|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Заполните пропуски соответствующими предлогами по смыслу, где это необходимо.
1. The door … our room is white. 2. Peter is sitting … the window. 3. Let`s go … the disco. 4. May I come …? 4. The blackboard is … the wall … our classroom. 5. They are looking … him. 6. Give me a piece … chalk, please. 7. Don`t go … there. 8. He usually goes … home after his classes. 9. She comes … home always in time. 10. Could you tell me how to get … the Trafalgar Square?
6. Заполните пропуски прилагательными в соответствующей степени сравнения:
1. Is Moscow (large) than London or (small)? 2. My friend is (old) than me. 3. Which is the (short) month of the year? 4. This work is (important) than that work. 5. My suitcase is (heavy) than yours. 6. This is a lovely dress, but it’s (expensive) than that one. 7. It’s (bad) day of my life.
7. . Заполните пропуски в предложениях, используя модальные глаголы can, must, may, should, have to и их эквиваленты. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Betty asked her father: “… I go to the concert tonight?” 2. Alec is a good student. He … speak English well. 3. There is no ink in my pen. … I write with a pencil. 4. You … do what your doctor says. 5. She … study much if she wants to pass her English exam well. 6. He … to stay at home because his mother is ill. 7. “… I come in?” 8. You … read the article. It’s very interesting. 9. “… I take your book”. “No, you … not. I need it.” 10. I don’t remember this book. I … to reread it.
Прочитайте текст и ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What is Ray Bradbury famous for?
2. What literary genre do Ray Bradbury’s works belong to?
3. How can science fiction be defined?
4. What are the major themes of Ray Bradbury’s writing?
1. Ray Douglas Bradbury, a prominent American science fiction writer, was born in Illinois in 1920, but mostly lived in Los Angeles, California. There he graduated from a high school, where he put out a school magazine entitled "Future Fantasies". His first story was published in 1941. Since then he had got a lot of national awards. Among his works we find "Dark Carnival" (1947), "The Martian Chronicles" (1950), "Fahrenheit 451°" (1953) and a lot of others. Most of his publications are volumes of collected short stories.
2. Bradbury's works belong to science fiction that is fiction in which scientific discoveries and developments form an element of the plot or the background. Besides, very often works of science fiction are based on future possibilities. In science fiction the impossible is presented as possible. A science fiction writer may carry his characters, and consequently the reader, into a remote future and prehistoric past or to unknown worlds.
3. The beginning of science fiction is associated with the names of Joules Verne in France, Herbert Wells in Britain, Edgar Рое in the United States. The first decades were marked by the increase of science fiction production. Gradually it formed a branch of fiction of its own. Its final establishment as a literary genre was completed in the middle of the 20th century after the World War II, thanks to scientific discoveries of the time.
4. Themes of Ray Bradbury's writing are extremely various, they comprise earthly affairs and space traveling. His literary credo is "to make the commonplace miraculous, to make the miraculous commonplace", for "there is a bit of the known in the unknown". This approach enables Ray Bradbury to remain a realistic writer, no matter how fantastic the plots or backgrounds of his stories may be. He is not so much interested in technology and scientific developments as in man's psychology. His dreams of the future are actually warnings; his books are noted for their psychological approach to his characters.
Переведите в письменной форме абзацы 2, 4.
3. Напишите предложения в вопросительной, а затем в отрицательной форме и переведите их на русский язык:
1. He is our cousin.
2. There are some flowers on the window.
3. My sister has got two children.
4. There were rugs on the floor.
5. Her son’s name is Tom.
Заполните пропуски соответствующей формой глагола to be, to have.
1. This boy … my brother. 2. … this their office? 3. There … a lot of toys under the table. 4. There … two chairs and a table in his study. 5. When do you usually … dinner. 6. She … a lot of work to do last week.