|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Exercise 3 Translate the text with dictionary.
Idioms and saying about food
Exercise 4 Match the idioms and sayings about food with their definitions:
1. "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." a. An accountant
2. "Bring home the bacon." b. To be in serious trouble.
3. "A bean counter." c. Someone who just sits on the couch watching TV.
4. "As cool as a cucumber." d. To earn a living for the family.
5. "Cry over spilt milk." e. To remain calm under pressure.
6. "A couch potato." f. To cry or complain about something that has already happened.
7. "In the soup." g. Eating fruit is good/healthy for you
Exercise 5 Match the sentences with above given idioms and sayings about food:
1."He landed her in the soup, when he told the policeman she had been drinking." – “In the soup”
2. To remain calm under pressure. "Although he was driving at 110 mph James Bond was as cool as a cucumber."
3. "It's no good crying over spilt milk, what's done is done."
4. "He felt it was his responsibility to bring home the bacon."
5. "She should get out more, she's turning into a real couch potato. "
6. "Even though they had made a profit, they laid people off, because the bean counters told them they would make more money."
7. "She should get out more, she's turning into a real couch potato. "
Exercise 6 You are going to invite American friends for eating out in the restaurant. Make the dialogue using useful language:
I would like to invite you, Kazakh dastarkhan is ……, Help yourself! Thanks a lot for your hospitability! You’re always welcome!