|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Task 1. Comment on the form and function of the infinitive in the sentences below.
1. To forget and forgive her was something he couldn’t do.
2. No one has ever seen Mary cry.
3. You seem to have been waiting for a long time.
4. He found the film to be rather boring.
5. They were seen to leave the room in a hurry.
6. To be praised by our teacher was something incredible.
7. I’m sorry to have kept you waiting so long.
8. Why not discuss our problem right now?
9. She seems to have been shocked by the news.
10. I don’t want you to speak to the child so rudely.
11. He happened to be looking in the same direction and saw a man run out of the house.
12. Let me help you with your luggage.
Task 2. Decide if the following statements about the infinitive are true or false. Correct false statements. Use examples from Task 1 to illustrate your answer.
1. The Infinitive has no special markers. / F (particle to)
2. Like a finite verb, the infinitive can take objects./ T
3. The infinitive has three morphological categories: voice, correlation, aspect./T
4. Like a finite verb, the infinitive can be modified by adverbial modifiers./T
5. The Infinitive is always used with particle to./F
6. In the infinitive construction “Complex Object” the infinitive is always used with particle to./F
7. In the infinitive construction “Complex Subject” both passive and active forms of the infinitive are used./T
8. After the question word “why” in negative and negative-interrogative sentences bare infinitive is used./T
9. The Infinitive can’t be used as a subject of the sentence. /F