|Главная Случайная страница
Разделы: Автомобили Астрономия Биология География Дом и сад Другие языки Другое Информатика История Культура Литература Логика Математика Медицина Металлургия Механика Образование Охрана труда Педагогика Политика Право Психология Религия Риторика Социология Спорт Строительство Технология Туризм Физика Философия Финансы Химия Черчение Экология Экономика Электроника
Task 2. Complete the sentences with the correct form, gerund or infinitive, of the verbs in parenthesis.
1. Margaret challenged me (race) ___ her across the pool.
2. David volunteered (bring) ___ some food to the reception.
3. The students practiced (pronounce) ___ the “th” sound in the phrase “these thirty-three dirty trees”.
4. In the fairy-tale, the wolf threatened (eat) ___ a girl named Little Red Riding Hood.
5. The horses struggled (pull) ___ the wagon out of the mud.
6. I appreciate your (take) ___ the time to help me.
7. I avoided (tell) ___ Mary the truth because I knew she would be angry.
8. Ted managed (change) ___ my mind.
9. I urged Al (return) ___ to school and (finish) ___his education.
10. I can’t afford (buy) ___ a new car.
11. I don’t recall ever (hear) ___ you mention his name.
12. Mrs. Freeman can’t help (worry) ___ about her children.
13. She keeps (promise) ___ (visit) ____ us but she never does.
14. Children I forbid you (play) ___ in the street. There’s too much traffic.
15. Julie finally admitted (be) ___ responsible for the problem.
16. I used (think) ___that life ended at 30.
17. Jane was never a very reliable friend. If I were you I would try (forget) ___ her.
18. He went on (write) ___ his essay despite the noise.
19. I couldn’t help them (find) ___ what they were looking for as I was in too much of a hurry. But harry looked so funny that I couldn’t help (laugh) ___.
20. After half an hour we stopped (make) ___ a cup of tea.
21. I remember (see) ___ him in the part of Hamlet at the Academy Theatre.
22. If your clothes don’t seem very white after you have washed them, try (soak) ___ them in a little bleach.
23. I’m not used to (think) ___ so hard this early in the morning.
24. I like (be) ___ the centre of attention.
25. Can you smell something (burn) ___ ?
Task 3. Which is correct?
1. Don’t forget to switch off the light before you go out.
a. switch b. to switch c. switching
2. I’m sorry, but I haven’t got time ______.
a. for talking b.to talk c. talking
3. Bill is always in the kitchen. He enjoys ___.
a. cook b. to cook c. cooking
4. You’re making too much noise. Can you please stop ___
a. shout b. to shout c. shouting
5. Did you use a dictionary _____ the letter?
a. to translate b. for translating c. for translate
6. I don’t mind ___ here, but I prefer to sit by the window.
a. sit b. to sit c. sitting
7. Do you want ___ you?
a. help b. to help c. helping
8. I always read the newspaper before _____ work.
a. start b. to start c. starting
9. I wasn’t feeling very well, but the medicine made me ___ better.
a. feel b. to feel c. feeling
10. Shall I phone the restaurant ___ a table?
a. for reserve b. for reserving c. to reserve